Algoa dating service
The construction of the Castle of Good Hope, which still stands today, only began in 1666, after Van Riebeeck had left the Cape, and was completed 13 years later.
In 1679, Simon van der Stel was sent to the Cape to become the new governor and in 1689, some 180 Huguenot refugees were brought to the Cape after Louis XIV had banned Calvinism in France.
In 1867, diamonds were discovered at Hopetown and in 1871, more diamonds were discovered in the vicinity of Kimberley.
The industrialisation of South Africa commenced with the discovery of gold in 1886 on the Witwatersrand.
Situated in the teeth of the south-easter, they were much less desirable areas to live in.
The flat marshes of the Salt River estuary were the least appealing.
However, the first winter experienced by Van Riebeeck and his crew was extremely harsh, as they lived in wooden huts and their gardens were washed away by the heavy rains.Fort de Goede Hoop – a fort with four corners made of mud, clay and timber – was built in the middle of what is today Adderley Street.Around this a garden was planted and meat was bartered for with the Khoikhoi (who were initially called Goringhaikwa, and later Kaapmans).From the Cape colony, the settlers were sent to Algoa Bay, known today as Port Elizabeth.During the early years of Dutch occupation, the focus was primarily on agriculture.